These roast pork belly skewers are soft and delicious making them a perfect weekend meal for someone special. They have beautiful Asian flavours and a lovely sticky texture, these are definitely an MSK favourite.
- Put the pork, lemongrass, galangal, shallots, garlic, honey, fish sauce, oil, tapioca starch, pepper, sugar and shrimp paste in a bowl. Mix well and rub the mixture into the pork pieces. Marinate in the fridge for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, soak the skewers in water to stop them burning in the oven later.
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C (350˚F) Gas 4, or preheat the grill/broiler. Push about 3 pork pieces onto each soaked skewer. Cook in the preheated oven for about 18 minutes, or under the preheated grill/broiler for 12–15 minutes, or until well browned.
- For the dipping sauce mix all the ingredients in a bowl with 4 tablespoons hot water.
- For the noodle salad put the rice vermicelli, a pinch of salt and a dash of vinegar in a bowl or pan of boiling water, cover and allow to cook for 5–10 minutes or until soft. Drain and rinse with hot water. Mix together the herbs, lettuce and cucumber and divide between 4 bowls. Add the noodles, pickle and pickled leeks, if using, on top. Scatter the peanuts over everything. Serve with the pork skewers and dipping sauce.
- For the pickle mix all the ingredients in a bowl and allow to rest for 15 minutes. Drain and wring with your hands.
From My Vietnamese Kitchen by Uyen Luu, published by Ryland Peters and Small.
Available on Amazon