Make up to the end of step 3 a day ahead; chill.
You will need
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 8 mixed skin-on chicken thighs and drumsticks
- 1 red onion, roughly chopped
- 1 thumb-sized piece of fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 lemongrass stalk, finely diced
- 2 tbsp mild curry powder
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 500ml chicken stock
- 400ml coconut milk
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 carrots, peeled and roughly sliced
- 4 tbsp Thai fish sauce
- 2 tsp sugar
- 175g okra, trimmed and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 aubergine, cubed
- 6 shallots, peeled and quartered
- 200g mangetout
- 2 sprigs of Thai sweet basil or regular basil, leaves only, roughly chopped
- 2 spring onions, roughly chopped
- 2 bird eye chillies, roughly chopped
step by step
- 1Heat the oil in a large deep pan or casserole over a high heat. Add the chicken pieces and fry for 10 minutes, turning often, until they’re browned. Transfer to a plate. Lower the heat and add the red onion, ginger and lemongrass. Gently fry for 6-8 minutes until softened.
- 2Return the chicken to the pan, add the curry powder and garlic, stirring until the chicken is well coated. Add the stock, coconut milk, potatoes and carrots; stir. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer gently for 15 minutes.
This curry is fragrant, light and mild
- 3Season with the fish sauce, sugar and a pinch of black pepper; add the okra, aubergine and shallots. Cook, covered, for 10 minutes.
- 4Remove the lid, stir in the mangetout; simmer for a further 5 minutes. Serve sprinkled with the basil, spring onion and chillies.
- Recipe adapted from My Vietnamese Kitchen by Uyen Luu (Ryland Peters & Small, £16.99). Recipe photograph by Karen Thomas